You are here: MAIN Chess in Adjara Adjara

ADJARA

 

Chess in Adjara started developing in the twenties the XX-th century. For promoting of this sport in the twenties the teacher of the village Didachara Mikhail Botsvadze asked the local carpenter to create a chessboard and figures from a tree and trained fellows villager in game in chess.

In highlands Didachara is one of those villages where women and men of almost any age are fond of chess.

The richest traditions in this regard at Batumi. In the history of chess of Adjara 1923 when to Moscow there arrived the Batumi chess players of the first generation Valery Kuzyatin and Vladimir Vaimbiim who assumed establishment of contacts with the capital chess center and the organization of a tournament in the seaside city is special. For establishment of strong contacts with chess circles of Petrograd and Moscow and acquisition of chess literature five local chess players were chosen. Also studying of organizational issues on holding a tournament was entrusted to them. This process included also the oldest Batumi chess player H.Daniyelyan. Among chess players of this period it is necessary to mark out the founder of the first chess school - Vladimir Hasensky who four times (1917, 1918, 1919, 1920) was the champion of the city.

In March, 1923 the newspaper “Trudovoi Batumi” allocated a daily heading for chess, which was directed by Vladimir Zdanevich. The next year the chess match (to 6 victories) between Zdanevich and Chernyavsky, in whom Zdanevich (6 victories won took place. 1 loss, 1 draw), took place.

In 1928 in Tbilisi the first man's championship of Georgia in which the Batumi chess player Vladimir Medvedev (2.5 points) played took place. In 1939 Medvedev participated in the XIII championship of Georgia and having scored 8,5 points took the VII place.

At this time began to Batumi and development of checkers. It was caused by frequent holding in Adjara tournaments of the USSR.  

In August, 1935 organizers of chess school invited the Leningrad chess players and checkers players for experience enrichment. In both types players from Batumi lost (Hendrokovski lost Romanovski, Rudnik to Chekhover, Borisenko – to Lisitsin, Varshanidze – to Goldberg, Prikhodko – to Gotgifild, Sokov – to Nikon). In September of the same year in Tbilisi the first championship of Georgia among women was won by Faina Katz from Batumi (4 points from 4), the next year she divided the first-second place with Krezberg (5.5 of 7). And Eva Shioshvili took the 6th place. Shioshvili till 1957 systematically participated in women’s chess tournaments and in the next years made a big contribution to development of chess in Adjara.

In the thirties the XX century chess widely extended in the highlands of Adjara. The first chess tournament in Khulo took place in May, 1936. Similar tournaments in mountain regions of Adjara were systematically held and further.

In 1938 the man's championship of Adjara was won by young Tanimanidi who in some years was lost during World War II.

In January, 1939 in Tbilisi the first republican tournament on checkers, in which Nikonov from Batumi won, was held (7.5 of 10). In February of the same year the second championship of Adjara in which of highlands the first success  Nuri Gobadze achieved was held to Batumi.